Cell Death Case Postponed to September

THREE months after the brutal killing of Fortuna Tenete (4) in a holding cell at the Wanaheda Police Station, murder accused Loise Kaambu’s case is still ongoing.

Kaambu (33) made a third appearance at the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court in Katutura on Wednesday.

During the court proceedings, she told magistrate Surita Savage that she will conduct her own defence as she had earlier indicated, and does not wish to apply for legal representation.

Kaambu is charged with the murder of Tenete in the police cell on 23 January after a fight over tea with his mother Kaarina Mateus (29) who had been arrested for shoplifting.

Kaambu was in custody for assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, while Mateus had failed to post N$500 bail.

The case has been postponed to 1 September for further police investigations.

She has been moved to the newly-built police holding cells at the eastern town of Gobabis in the Omaheke Region.

Meanwhile, investigations into the circumstances surrounding Tenete’s death are complete and the report has been submitted to police Inspector General Sebastian Ndeitunga to decide if there was any negligence on the part of the police.

Ndeitunga, in March, said he had read the report and forwarded it to Ombudsman John Walters.

Walters also confirmed that he received the report, but said he needed to carry out further investigations into the police response, before giving feedback.

Source : The Namibian