Construction of houses in Windhoek’s Otjomuise Extension 10 area to commence soon: Mayor

WINDHOEK: The much-anticipated construction of houses in Windhoek’s Otjomuise Extension 10 area under the national mass housing project will commence soon, Mayor Agnes Kafula has said.

Kafula said during the monthly City Council meeting on Thursday they are very delighted to see this project getting off the ground, as they believe that it will alleviate the lack of housing that we are experiencing.

She then called on Windhoek residents to desist from occupying land illegally, and to follow the official procedures available on land allocation.

Earlier this year, the National Housing Enterprises (NHE) awarded a tender to Namibian company, Afrikuumba in partnership with a South African company, Calgro M3 to build 1 191 houses in Otjomuise for about N.dollars 350 million.

The mass housing project was launched by President Hifikepunye Pohamba in the capital during November 2013.

This programme aims to build at least 185 000 affordable houses by the year 2030.

It will be implemented in phases, and is projected to cost N.dollars 45 billion.

SOURCE: NAMPA