Court Dismisses Stars’ Urgent Application

Acting Judge Petrus Unengu struck African Stars’ urgent application off the High Court roll on Thursday morning. A week after having granted an interim order to have the conclusion of the Namibia Premier League put on hold, the judge ruled that Stars failed to show cause that the matter was urgent and struck the application off the court roll.

This means the protracted case, which has disrupted the end of the premier division’s 2013-14 season, is still not concluded and the impasse could continue indefinitely if Stars should choose to further pursue the matter.

While Stars and the NPL have yet to react to the ruling, the Namibia Football Association’s secretary-general Barry Rukoro declared that “football will continue” and that they would revert to their statutes to see that the league programme concludes.

This effectively means that the NPL may now resume the process of declaring a winner for the season despite the fact that the case lodged by Stars against the NFA, the NPL and other teams in the league has not been finalised.

Additionally, Rukoro said the season-ending MTC NPL awards ceremony, which was called-off last week, can also be held.

Rukoro also said he expects that the NPL will enforce its initial ruling that the abandoned match between Stars and Orlando Pirates on 16 April will be resumed for the remaining minutes.

The match ended about eight minutes before full time according to the NPL – or 12 minutes early, according to African Stars – due to a power cut that left the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Katutura, where the match was being played, in darkness.

Due to the power cut, the referee decided to abandon the match.

Source : The Namibian