Disabled Teenager Dies in Shack Fire

A TEENAGER died in a shack fire suspected to have been caused by a lit candle in the Havana informal settlement in Windhoek on Friday.

City Police Senior Superintendent Gerry Shikesho said Asser Nghishidilelwa (16), who used a wheelchair, was in bed when the shack, situated on Walvis Bay Street, caught fire at around 18h00.

Shikesho said Nghishidilelwa’s cousin was cooking when she heard him screaming for help.

“She sent a text message to a neighbour alerting her of the teenager’s screams for help but nothing could be done as the fire had spread rapidly throughout the shack,” he said.

He added that according to relatives, the boy was unable to get out of bed without assistance because his mobility had become more restricted as he grew older.

An amount of N$1 500 was lost in the fire together with identity documents and other items of property.

“The shack was completely destroyed with everything that was inside,” Shikesho said.

The shack belonged to the boy’s aunt, who was not home at the time.

Source : The Namibian