Farmer Tjipueja’s alleged killers’ trial postponed

WINDHOEK: The continuation of the murder and robbery trial in connection with the death of an emerging farmer has been delayed until mid April this year.

Ellis Tjipueja’s burnt remains were found hidden in a culvert under a road in the Rehoboth area in June 2007.

Only one accused, Rayno Olivier, 30, remains in the case following the death of his co-accused Sigfried ‘Doddie’ Lewin,33.

Lewin committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree near the MH Greef Primary School in Khomasdal here on 11 January this year.

Olivier made another appearance before High Court Judge Naomi Shivute here on Tuesday when his alleged murder and robbery case was postponed to 20 April this year (2015) for the continuation of the trial.

The case was this morning postponed to the above-mentioned date as per agreement reached between prosecution representative, State Advocate Palmer Khumalo and the accused person’s State-sponsored defence lawyer, Advocate WiennieChristiaans in court today.

Both Olivier and the late Lewin have been non-trial in the Windhoek High Court since January 2013.

A summary of substantial facts contained in the charge sheet has it that the partly burnt remains of the late farmer, ellisTjipueja was found hidden in a culvert under a gravel about 15 kilometres from farm Rietoog in the Rehoboth district on 27 June 2007.

The State is alleging that the two men, Olivier and Lewin, had initially robbed farmer Tjipueja at farm Rietoog of about N.dollars 20 000, an Isuzu bakkie and a mobile cellular phone before killing him.

The two accused persons at the start of the trial in June 2007 each denied any involvement in the alleged murder and robbery case by pleading not guilty to the charges of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, defeating or obstructing the ends of justice or attempting to do so as well as to an alternative charge of violating a dead body.

Lewin committed suicide while he was free on bail on N.dollars 1000, which was given shortly after he became sick when he contracted tuberculosis while in police custody at the Windhoek Correctional Facility.

Olivier remains in police custody with no option to post bail.