Farmworker remanded in custody for allegedly stabbing girlfriend

OTJIWARONGO: A 30-year-old man arrested last Thursday for allegedly stabbing his girlfriend to death at Farm Jobos in the Otjozondjupa Region, appeared in the Otjiwarongo Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Farm Jobos no. 169 is situated some 60 kilometres north-west of Otjiwarongo near the government resettlement farm Queen Sofia.

Epson Tsaeb appeared before Otjiwarongo magistrate Helvi Shilemba, who informed him of his right to engage a private lawyer, represent himself in court or apply for a government-funded lawyer through the Ministry of Justice’s Legal Aid Directorate.

The accused opted to apply for a State-funded lawyer.

The case was then postponed until 05 August 2014, and Tsaeb was remanded in police custody to allow for further police investigations.

Otjiwarongo-based Control State Prosecutor Muriel van Zyl appeared for the prosecution.

Meanwhile, the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Otjozondjupa Public Relations’ Officer, Sergeant Maureen Mbeha had told Nampa last Friday that the deceased, Lina Gaises, 26, was in a relationship with Tsaeb for less than six months.

Tsaeb was a general farmworker at Farm Jobos, where Gaises lived with her parents, who are also working there as general farm labourers.

It is alleged that a quarrel between the suspect and the deceased broke out shortly before Gaises wanted to leave her home on Thursday at about 08H00 to visit relatives in Otjiwarongo.

“The parents of the deceased at the time of the alleged quarrel and stabbing were already at work on the farm, and so far, it is only the side of the suspect we have obtained,” Mbeha explained.

According to the police’s preliminary investigations, Tsaeb stabbed Gaises once on the right side of the neck during their heated argument, and she died.

The suspect then fled the scene on foot into the bushes.

Mbeha said the police, who were called to the crime scene, started searching for Tsaeb on that same Thursday, and found him unconscious, approximately 5 kilometres away from the scene of crime.

He attempted to commit suicide by drinking unknown dangerous substances, which were found next to him.

The police then took him to the Otjiwarongo State Hospital, where he was admitted and discharged the following day.