Girl dies after injuring throat in Windhoek: NamPol

WINDHOEK, 16 NOV (NAMPA) – A 10-year-old girl died after she allegedly fell while running downhill and hit the zinc structure of a toilet in Windhoek’s Okuryangava informal settlement on Saturday.

Namibian Police Force (NamPol) spokesperson Sergeant Slogan Matheus told a media briefing here on Sunday the girl fell and hit the zinc structure, cutting her throat open.

She died while being taken to the Katutura State Hospital.

The girl has been identified as Justina Pineas, and her next of kin have been informed.

Police investigations to establish the exact circumstances that led to the girl’s death continue.

The Katutura Police have opened a docket of inquest following the death of Khomasdal resident Jason Pombili Haufiku, 25, over the weekend.

Haufiku, an employee of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, stayed at a house in the Khomasdal residential area. He returned home from work on Friday and went into his bathroom for a shower.

His body was only discovered in the shower the next morning by the landlord, with the water in the shower still running.

The landlord and other tenants decided to investigate after they realised the water had been running non-stop since the Friday.

It is suspected that Haufiku might have had a heart attack.

A post-mortem will however be conducted to determine the exact cause of his death.

A yet-to-be-identified “street kid” died in the centre of Windhoek on Sunday morning at around 09h45 when he allegedly fell on the ground after being slapped.

The deceased boy sustained injuries on the back of his head and died on the spot.

According to the police report an 18-year-old young man and his father had gone shopping in the area, and they parked their vehicle in Kasch Street.

When they returned to their vehicle, the young man walked ahead of his father and was approached by three “street kids”.

One of the trio grabbed his wrist, while another opened a knife and demanded N.dollars 2 from him.

The father had in the meantime showed up and wanted to know what was happening. Upon his father’s arrival, the 18-year-old allegedly slapped one of the street kids, causing him to fall on the concrete and hit his head.

The deceased has been identified by his friends but cannot be named because the police were yet to inform his relatives.

The police have laid a charge of murder against the 18-year-old and a case of attempted robbery against the street kids.

Matheus said police investigations into the matter continue.