Imalwa’s Hands Tied On Kuutondokwa

Prosecutor-General, Martha Imalwa, yesterday said there is nothing she can do about the serial arrests of her deputy Jackson Kuutondokwa, who has been repeatedly arrested for drunken driving.

Critics say, Kuutondokwa’s habitual arrests, the latest being last Saturday, could negatively impact on the image of the PG’s office.

But Imalwa yesterday told New Era that any transgression by prosecutors is to be dealt with by the Public Service Commission (PSC). Deputy Prosecutor-General, Jackson Kuutondokwa, who already has a matter of driving under the influence of alcohol in the Katutura Regional Court was arrested again on Saturday, after he was found to be driving while under the influence of alcohol. He appeared in the Katutura Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Chairperson of the PSC, Ambassador Eddie Amkongo, informed New Era that if there was a code of conduct, it is administered by the Prosecutor General’s Office, “she is in charge of the prosecutors”. Asked why Kuutondokwa’s matter was heard in chambers, and not open to members of the public, Imalwa said she only read about that issue in the media and directed questions to, Prosecutor Peter Kandjumbwa, who represented the state on Monday

As to why her deputy’s matter has been dragging on since 2012, the prosecutor general referred New Era to Katutura Magistrate’s Court to inquire.

A lawyer who chose to remain anonymous remarked that matters can be heard in chambers for anyone.

Kuutondokwa was granted bail of N$1000 by Magistrate Surita Savage on Monday. This caused an outrage with some people who feel this is a slap on the wrist as bail is normally set at N$ 4000.

In the matter currently pending in the Regional Court, Kuutondokwa faces a charge of driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor and a charge of negligence and reckless driving. He allegedly caused an accident along Independence Avenue, on April 8 2012.

Kuutondokwa is free on a warning, in that matter. The matter was remanded last year because the defence indicated that they would like the services of an aocate. In 2004, Kuutondokwa was also investigated after he allegedly rammed his vehicle into an electricity transformer in Wanaheda, in what was also described as an accident caused while under the influence.

The incident took place after Kuutondokwa’s driver’s licence, which had been suspended for three months following a conviction on a charge of drunken driving, was returned to him.

The Deputy Prosecutor-General also previously pleaded guilty in the High Court to driving while under the influence of liquor on December 8, 2002.

Kuutondokwa was fined N$5 000 or twelve months imprisonment, of which N$2 500 or six months were suspended for three years on condition he is not convicted of a similar offence during the period of the suspension.

Source : New Era