Katali Describes Visit to China As Successful

MINISTER of Mines and Energy, Isak Katali, has described his visit to China last week as successful.

“We learned a lot, especially during our visit to the nuclear power plants. We learned that nuclear energy is one of the safest, cleanest and most viable options in electricity generation,” Katali told Nampa.

Katali visited several nuclear energy training facilities, where intricate details regarding the setting up of a nuclear plant facility were explained to his entourage.

“The good news is that we have learned that it is possible to have a nuclear energy plant in Namibia. We have uranium in the country, so there is a need to deliberate on the correct technology with regard to the type of nuclear plant we want to establish in the country,” he said.

Katali said he had successful deliberations with officials at the China National Energy Adminsitration (NEA), where they discussed among other issues, the proposed agreement on the use of peaceful atomic energy between the two countries.

The agreement paves the way for the two countries to either trade or participate in the right use of nuclear energy including electricity generation.

Katali also had a meeting with the China-based management of the Swakop Uranium mine.

During their discussions, Swakop Uranium management raised concerns about the insufficient supply of water at the Chinese-owned Swakop Uranium’s Husab mine in Namibia’s Erongo Region.

Husab mine is located near Arandis.

Namibia’s State-owned Epangelo Mining Company owns a 10% share, while the remaining 90% belongs to China Guangdong Nuclear Power Company.

Katali said discussions are in full swing for the Namibian Government to buy the French-owned Areva mining company’s desalination plant.

“If we buy the desalination plant from Areva, water problems at Husab mine will be a thing of the past,” he said

The much-anticipated construction of Namibia’s Kudu Gas Power plant was among the topics of discussion during the visit in Beijing, whereby the China-Africa Development (CAD) Fund and its potential partner, China National Offshore Oil Cooperation (CNOOC) indicated their willingness to participate in the shareholding of the Kudu Gas power project.

CAD Fund and its potential partner, CNOOC will take up the 46% shareholding which were owned by Japanese Tullow and Itochu companies. Tullow and Itochu have withdrawn their participation from the much-anticipated Kudu Gas Power project.

Nampa

Source : The Namibian