Katutura derby ends in a draw

WINDHOEK; Namibia Premier League (NPL) defending champions, Black Africa Football Club (FC), came from behind to draw 2-2 with Orlando Pirates in the Katutura derby.

The match that was played at the Sam Nujoma Stadium on Sunday marked round seven of the NPL fixtures.

Black Africa opened the score line in the 11th minute through Willy Stephanus, but Orlando Pirates equalised in the 44th minute of the game through a Knowledge Mutyoraring shot deflected off Marvin Katire.

The score line at the half time interval was 1-1.

In the second half, Black Africa captain Marvin Katire received his second yellow card and got his marching order in the 51th minute.

With Black Africa reduced to 10-men, Pirates took the lead in the 52nd minute through Nicky Musambani.

In the dying minutes of the game Black Africa’s super substitute Muna Katupose saved the day for his side when he headed in an equaliser in the 88th minute of the game to make the final score 2-2.

Black Africa coach, Brian Isaacs, said the red card in the game made things difficult for this side.

“My players showed character today because after going down to 10-men they still managed to score a goal and we happy to keep our undefeated record from the start of the season,” said Isaacs.

Orlando Pirates assistance coach Herbert Kapeng said he was not happy with the result.

“Black Africa’s second goal was a clear offside and we were supposed to win this game, but I should be happy we at least collected a point from the game,” stated Kapeng.

In other matches played on Sunday, Otavi-based Touch & Go defeated Tigers 1-0 at the Independence Stadium.

Touch & Go scored the only goal of the game in the 24th minute through Asser Haramseb.

Tsumeb-based Benfica registered their first win of the season after they defeated Rebels FC 1-0 at the Independence Stadium and also moved out of the bottom spot they have occupied since the start of the league in October.

Benfica are now 14th on the log on 4 points.

Meanwhile, Unam came back from their defeat against Pirates on Saturday to win 3-1 against Mighty Gunners at the Unam Stadium on Sunday.


Welwitchias narrowly lose against Canada in Colwyn Bay

WINDHOEK; Namibia’s Welwitschias rugby team still has a lot of preparation to do ahead of the 2015 Rugby World Cup (RWC), which is set to take place in the United Kingdom.

The team on Friday lost their match against Canada in Colwyn Bay, Northern Wales by 17-13.

Despite their loss, they put on a good performance against a team currently ranked 17th, with Namibia being 22nd on the International Rugby Board (IRB)’s rankings.

David van der Sand, who is escorting the team, told Nampa via email on Monday that Welwitschias’ coach Danie Vermeulen said after Friday’s match this was the first step of the team’s learning curve.

“We have two more matches to play, and hopefully at the end of the tour, we can tick a few more boxes,” the coach said.

The match was the first of three on the team’s Windhoek Draught Northern Hemisphere tour in preparation for the 2015 RWC.

Meanwhile, team captain Jacques Burger said there are no excuses for having lost against Canada.

“We were beaten by a better team, but I am very excited about what is coming up as we need to fix some mistakes and hopefully put on a better performance next time,” Burger stated.

Canada took the lead as early as the sixth minute through scrum-half Gordon McRorie after the Namibians were judged offside by South African referee Stuart Berry.

It took Namibia 25 minutes to get on the board, when fly-half Theuns Kotze slotted a 25-metre penalty after Canada was caught slowing down the ball.

Ten minutes before the break, Canada extended their lead to 9-3, and Kotzé responded immediately with his second penalty of the evening.

The sides changed ends with Canada leading 9-6.

Canada started the second half well, and extended their lead to 12-6 through a fourth penalty from McRorie just minutes into the second half.

The Canadians then opened up an 11-point lead after loose-forward Nanyak Dala went over in the corner for his side’s only try of the match.

With five minutes remaining, Burger scored after a well-executed line-out drive.

Kotzé slotted the conversion, which gave Namibia a chance to pull off a win against a side ranked higher than them.

A last-minute attack almost resulted in what would have been a match-winning try, but the final pass went astray.

The final score was 17-13.

Namibian fullback Chrysander Botha suffered a blow during the eighth minute of the first half when he broke his lower leg.

He was taken from the field on a stretcher.

It is expected that Botha will return to his club, England’s Exeter Chiefs, where he will receive further treatment.

Namibia’s next match is on Friday in Toulon, France against the French Barbarians before they travel to Lisbon for their final international against Portugal on 22 November.