Kunene Region Still Experiencing Drought

TRADITIONAL leaders and farmers in the Kunene region are urging the government to allow the drought relief programme to continue and to keep assisting them with new boreholes.

Chief Jakise Herunga of the Oviana Traditional Authority on Friday praised the government and President Hifikepunye Pohamba for last year’s drought relief assistance and for the boreholes.

Speaking at Otuvero village, some 35 kilometres south of Opuwo, Herunga said the government needs to be commended for the drought relief, as it sustained a lot of families in the region.

“However, the situation has not changed since last year as communities in Kunene are still affected by the drought, and have not harvested anything,” she said, adding that the government should drill more boreholes for livestock since most grazing is far from water sources.

Herunga also wrote a letter to the office of Kunene regional governor Joshua Hoebeb asking for assistance.

The drought relief programme in the region ended in March this year, but was extended to June because there were still sufficient supplies to distribute to the communities here.

Another traditional leader who wants the programme extended is Karungojo Muhenje of the Kakurukouje Traditional Authority of Etanga, some 100 kilometres west of Opuwo.

Muhenje also indicated that the drought situation has not improved, as only some villages received rainfall.

Meanwhile, Elisabeth Mukuma of the Otjikaoko Traditional Authority that is based at Opuwo said her traditional authority visited different villages in Kunene, and learned that there was not enough grass for livestock in most of the villages.

Most crop-farmers also did not harvest anything due to the poor rainfall in the region.

Mukuma echoed the other traditional leaders’ sentiments regarding the possible extension of the programme.

Kunene regional governor aiser Kenatjironga Muharukua, said the Office of the Prime Minister is aware of the drought situation in the area and that the deputy Prime Minister, Marco Hausiku, was briefed about the matter.

“Hausiku assured the region during his visit to Kunene in early June this year that he will take the request of the drought relief programme to Cabinet. We are still waiting for communication on the outcome of the matter,” said Muharukua.

Nampa

Source : The Namibian

Leave a Reply