Magic, Stars and United Reach Biest Cup Semi-Finals

Tura Magic, African Stars and United Stars join Citizens in the semi-finals of the 2014 Biest Namibia Cup after their respective victories in the quarterfinals on Saturday at the Sam Nujoma Stadium.

Tura Magic faced Premiership treble league champions Black Africa with the latter looking to go a step further in their quest for the elusive NFA Cup but it was Magic who got the ball rolling with a fine finish from their Ghanaian import Kalusha Alhassan to hand Magic a promising 1-0 halftime lead.

In the second stanza, Junias Theophilus was at the end of a sweet counter-attack as he made it 2-0 for Magic, despite BA dominating the ball possession.

The experienced Black Africa tried all they could to get back into the game, with the likes of substitutes Marco Van Wyk and Roger Katjiteo leading the attack later on but the Magic rear-guard stood firm and gave nothing away.

They finally opened their account after a moment of individual brilliance from the exciting Willy Stephanus, who took a speculative shot from about 35 metres out which seemed covered by Magic goalkeeper Collin Ndjai only for the ball to embarrassingly slip through his hands, onto the inside of the upright and into the net to give BA a glimmer of hope of a comeback.

But it was not to be as Magic held on and won the match 2-1 to reach the semi-finals of the lucrative Biest Namibia Cup for the first time.

Defending champions African Stars recorded a hard fought 6-2 victory over Karas second division side Mountain Rangers. The score was 2-2 until eight minutes to go when Razundura Tjikuzu, who got Stars first goal in the first half got his second and Stars third which eventually led to three more goals for the champions.

Rangers took the lead earlier through a penalty converted by Ashely Jossop, but Razundara Tjikuzu equalised for Stars after an inspiring individual run into the Rangers 18-metre area. Edward Asino restored the minnows’ lead as his scored from a free-kick on the edge of the Stars box, but Stars defender Ferdinand Karongee scored the equaliser for Stars for a halftime score of 2-2.

Stars continued to besiege the Rangers goal but they were kept out by the heroics of goalkeeper and Man of the Match Jonathan Hanse or the cross bar, while they also missed several golden chances.

But in the end, as Rangers tired, the experienced Stars turned on the style as coach Woody Jacobs introduced the towering Elvis Tjivasera and the speedy Edwin Korukuve as well as their Zimbabwean import Godwin Jena.

Tjikuzu gave Stars the lead for the first time on 82 minutes and that was followed by a goals from Jena, Korukuve and finally Tjivasera as Stars ran out 6-2 winners to keep their hopes of a second successive Cup success alive.

United Stars also reached the semi-finals with a comprehensive 2-0 victory over Tigers. After a goalless first half, substitute Nqobani Pakati got the first goal for Dawid Snewe’s men and later on another substitute Moses Mbundu got the second goal for the clinical and impressive United side. The only blemish in United’s performance on the day was the dismissal of Kanyanga Kasera, who picked up his second yellow card after a foul on Tigers substitute Panduleni Hallelujah Nekundi.

Source : The Namibian