Man dies in shack fire at Okahandja

OTJIWARONGO: A 25-year-old man was burned beyond recognition in a shack fire at the Five Rand informal settlement at Okahandja on Saturday morning.

The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Otjozondjupa Regional Public Relations Officer, Sergeant Maureen Mbeha told Nampa in an interview on Monday the deceased has been identified as Sagaria David.

His next of kin have been informed.

It is suspected that David left a candle burning in the shack, and fell asleep. According to Mbeha, the shack then caught fire and burned down completely.

David was alone at the time of the incident, and no foul play is suspected.

The Okahandja police opened an inquest into the matter under case number 09/2014.

Police investigations continue.

SOURCE: NAMPA