Man dies in shack fire at Outjo

OTJIWARONGO: A 36-year-old man was burned beyond recognition in a shack fire at Outjo in the Kunene Region in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Otjozondjupa Regional Public Relations’ Officer, Sergeant Maureen Mbeha told Nampa yesterday that the deceased has been identified as Fillemon Nekongo.

Mbeha said Nekongo worked as a welder at a construction company in Outjo.

It is suspected that he was cooking on a paraffin-powered stove inside his shack in 7de Laan Street at Etoshapoort when the stove burst into flames, setting the shack on fire.

‘Everything inside the shack burned completely, and his remains were found lying on the ground between the bed and the shack’s main door,’ the police officer noted.

No foul play is suspected, and the police have opened inquest docket number 03/2014.

SOURCE: NAMPA