Man Dies in Shack Fire

A 21-YEAR-OLD Keetmanshoop resident died in a shack fire at the town’s Tseiblaagte residential area on Saturday morning.

Chief inspector Herman Hatzenberg confirmed the death and said police suspect that the fire could have been caused by a lit candle.

Hatzenberg said that according to preliminary investigations, Xavier Roos lit the candle and a cigarette before he retired to bed and according to eyewitnesses, he was already fast asleep when the shack caught fire. Roos only woke up when an electrical box on the pole outside the shack exploded because of the heat.

“The deceased apparently ran out of the shack with his clothes burning and neighbours covered him with a blanket to extinguish the fire,” said Hatzenberg.

Roos died in an ambulance, while being taken to Windhoek for medical attention.

Meanwhile, the police said a Karasburg resident, Bonafatius Matroos (28), died on the spot after he was hit by a vehicle on the town’s main road on Saturday morning.

Hatzenberg said a 28-year-old driver was arrested in connection with the accident that claimed the life of Matroos. He is expected to appear in the Karasburg Magistrates’s Court on charges of culpable homicide and reckless and negligent driving today.

Source : The Namibian