Man Killed Over Bottle of Castello

Sergeant Slogan Matheus from the Namibian Police Public Relations Division, said a young man died at Okapya village in Omusati Region on Saturday, after he was allegedly stabbed to death during a heated row over a bottle of Castello ginger fizz wine.

Sackeus Ndeshimona, 21, was allegedly stabbed with an Okapi pocket knife in the chest and died on the spot, Matheus informed journalists on Sunday.

A 21-year-old suspect and the victim (Ndeshimona) were drinking together at a shebeen at Ombutilo in Okapya village, when an argument erupted over the bottle of Castello.

Matheus said the argument that led to the alleged stabbing and death, started after both men (suspect and victim) shared the cost of a bottle of Castello so that they could enjoy its contents.

It was alleged the suspect became greedy and decided to hold on to the bottle and he reportedly refused to hand it over to Ndeshimona to drink. The refusal and accompanying insult apparently led to a heated argument that resulted in a street fight and the alleged fatal stabbing of Ndeshimona. The suspect was also injured in the fight and he is currently receiving medical attention at the Onandjokwe Lutheran Hospital.

Police investigations into the matter continue.

In March two men were seriously injured after being shot in Grootfontein after a quarrel over a jug of the popular and cheap traditional brew called ‘tombo.’

A 60-year-old man allegedly shot two young men, aged 17 and 27 respectively, in the head, after a quarrel erupted over a jug of tombo in Grootfontein.

Meanwhile, the police in Gobabis are investigating a case of murder following the death of a homosexual male in that town on Saturday, revealed Sergeant Matheus.

Matheus said the victim has been identified as Johannes Goagoseb, 35, who is believed to have been gay.

It is alleged that the suspect also aged 35, found his girlfriend with the deceased at a house in Damara Block, Freedom Square in the Epako Township on Saturday evening around 19h00, after attending a memorial service.

The suspect allegedly asked his girlfriend what she was doing with a ‘moffie’, after which he allegedly beat her with clenched fists before he took a knife and chased her up to her sister’s house.

The suspect then started beating the ‘moffie’ with a building spirit level (waterpas) all over the body, after which the victim allegedly collapsed.

The victim was taken to the Gobabis State Hospital for medical attention, but he succumbed to the injuries sustained during the savage assault.

The suspect made his first appearance in the Gobabis Magistrate’s Court yesterday (Monday).

Source : New Era