Mannetti to Drop Five Players On Thursday

Five players will be dropped from the current squad in training for Namibia’s Confederation of African Football (CAF) Nations’ Cup clash against Congo-Brazzaville here on Saturday.

National coach Ricardo Mannetti told Nampa on Wednesday that 22 out of 25 players called-up are now in camp.

Another call-up, Tangeni Shipahu, was expected to report for national duty later on Wednesday from Thailand, where he plies his trade in the Thai Premier League.

Two players did not turn up for the training camp – Tigers’ football club defender Pekka Hamukwaya and German-based Hansa Rostock midfielder Manfred Starke – because of personal reasons.

“The training is going well so far, and all the players are doing well, apart from some small knocks. But it is not something to be worried about,” said Mannetti.

The final team will be trimmed down to 18 players on Thursday.

“I will drop five players from the current squad in camp tomorrow, but it will generally be two goalkeepers because we are having four goalies in the squad. I might also drop some defenders because we are playing at home. We might only need one defender on the bench,” he stated.

Namibia and Congo-Brazzaville will play in the first of two qualifying legs on Saturday at the Sam Nujoma stadium in Windhoek at 16h00.

The second leg is set for 01 June in Pointe-Noire, Congo-Brazzaville.

Nampa

Source : The Namibian