Metually Promises ‘War’ Against Ndokosho

Mohammed Metually of Egypt has promised an all out war when he challenges Gottlieb Ndokosho for the IBF International featherweight title at the Windhoek Country Club on Saturday night.

The two boxers met for the first time at a press conference in Windhoek on Wednesday, when promoter Kinda Nangolo said Metually was determined to take the title back to Egypt.

“Metually’s team told me that we can expect a war on Saturday night,” he said.

Metually, speaking through an interpreter, said that he was well prepared and ready to take the title back to Egypt.

“My preparations have gone very well and God willing, I will take the title back to Egypt,” he said.

According to Metually’s interpreter, he is a vastly experienced boxer with more than 300 amateur fights while he was also previously ranked in the top 20 by the WBC.

The 33-year-old challenger has an impressive professional record of 17 wins, of which eight were via knockout, and two defeats.

His last defeat was nearly three years ago and since then he has remained unbeaten in eight fights, while he is also the current Egyptian and African Boxing Union bantamweight champion.

Ndokosho has a similar professional record of 15 wins (six via KO) and three defeats.

His last defeat was against compatriot Jatoorora Tjingavete in March 2011, and since then he has notched up six victories.

He won the IBF Africa featherweight title in September 2012, and successfully defended it twice, before winning the IBF International featherweight title against Kakhaber Avetisian of Georgia in December last year.

Ndokosho was also in confident mood.

“I am one hundred percent ready and now I can just wait for the fight. All I can tell my opponent is that he came as a challenger and he will go back as a challenger,” he said.

Promoter Kinda said he did not have a sponsor yet and called on the business community for support.

“We don’t have a sponsor yet, but we are progressing and that’s why we have champions and happy boxers. I pray that someone can help us so that the event can go ahead successfully,” he said.

There will be a total of five fights while Harry Simon will also do six rounds of sparring, although his opponent still has to be named.

In the main supporting bout, Anthony Jarman will take on Khululekile Sibeko of South Africa in a welterweight fight over eight rounds, while in another eagerly anticipated showdown, Pohamba Mandume will take on Johannes Mwetupunga in a junior middleweight fight over eight rounds.

George Iyambo will take on Michael Kambungu in a featherweight fight over six rounds and Candy Imalwa will fight an opponent yet to be named in a super featherweight fight over six rounds.

Tickets are available at the Namibian Boxing Control Office and cost N$200 per person, N$300 for VIP seats and N$10 000 for a VIP table of ten. The first fight is scheduled to start at 18h30.

Source : The Namibian