Mother successfully hunts down son’s alleged killer

A determined mother from Swakopmund has successfully managed to trace a man accused of killing her son, leading to the suspect’s arrests.

After being on the run for almost six months, murder suspect, Ivan Thabang Swelo,40, was arrested at Karasburg on 27 December 2014.

He allegedly stabbed Stephanus Eigab, 30, to death on 07 July 2014 at Swakopmund before fleeing to Windhoek and later Karasburg.

The deceased was allegedly stab once in the neck and died on the spot.

It is not yet clear what sparked the fatal attack.

Narrating the story to reporters on Monday, Eigab’s mother, Sophia Eichas, said she traced the suspect herself and informed the police to arrest him.

“The police always tell us to assist them in fighting crimes and brining suspects under arrest. That is exactly what I did in this case. I could not sit and wait for the police as nothing was happening from their side, so I stood up and searched for him,” she said.

She explained that when the suspect committed the alleged crime and fled to Windhoek, she did not receive any feedback from the police regarding the tracing.

“I did not receive much attention from the Swakopmund police on my enquiries regarding the tracing. As such, I went to Walvis Bay police where I was informed that I must give them the name of the suspect. From there I just asked friends and family in Windhoek to assist me to hunt the man down,” said the mother.

Eichas said her efforts and that of friends and family paid off one day when she received a call from her friend in Karasburg, to verify the name of the suspect she is looking for.

“I gave the name and later they informed me that the person we are looking for is in Karasburg. I immediately informed the police in Karasburg that executed the arrest,” she told reporters.

Eichas used the opportunity to thank those who worked with her during the search.

Swelo appeared before Magistrate Nelao Brown in the Swakopmund Magistrate’s Court on Friday last week.

He is expected to appear in the same court on 23 February this year, when police investigations on the matter is expected to be completed.

The suspect is also preparing for legal representation.