NamPol officer arrested for alleged murder of son

WINDHOEK: A Namibian Police Force (NamPol) Officer was arrested in the Omaheke Region on Friday for allegedly murdering his seven-year-old son and seriously injuring his younger brother aged five.

The Head of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Public Relations Division, Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi said at the weekly crime briefing in the capital on Sunday the 28-year-old suspect allegedly found out that his girlfriend had been exchanging text messages of a loving nature with another man.

The incident occurred at the Epako settlement in Gobabis at around 19h00 on Friday.

The suspect allegedly started calling and sending threatening text messages to both his girlfriend and the man he suspected she was in a relationship with.

“In his messages the police officer threatened that he was going to kill his girlfriend, the suspected lover and their two sons,” Kanguatjivi explained.

While the woman was still at work, the suspect arrived at Erf number 88 in Nganate Street where he found four children, including his two sons, with no adult supervision.

He allegedly chased the other two children away, whereafter he reportedly stabbed his older son five times – four times in the head and once in the neck. The boy is said to have died instantly.

He then turned to the younger boy, stabbing him once each in the neck, head and on the back.

The five-year-old is reported to be in a serious condition and is currently receiving treatment in the local hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU).

Meanwhile, the suspect has been arrested and will appear in the Gobabis Magistrate’s Court on Monday. As he is yet to appear in court, he cannot be named.

Police investigations into the matter continue.

In an unrelated incident in Windhoek, a man surrendered himself to the police after allegedly stabbing another man in the neck who died after he was rushed to a hospital.

The incident took place in Conradie Street at around 03h00 on Saturday.

It is alleged that the suspect and the deceased were chased out of a bar at closing time, but apparently continued to consume alcohol on a nearby pavement.

The deceased allegedly grabbed the suspect’s container and started drinking from it without the consent of the accused.

As a result a fight broke out between the two and the accused allegedly stabbed the deceased in the neck.

He is now in custody and is set to appear in court.

The deceased has been identified as Japhta Owoseb.