Officer Removed From Court

The incident in which a journalist was punched by an accused at the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court two months ago resulted in the warrant-officer who was in charge at the court being transferred to the Katutura police station last week, New Era established from police sources.

However, Khomas regional commander, Major-General Desiderius Shilunga denied that it was the reason for the officer’s move. “It’s not the reason,” he informed New Era last week Thursday. Shilunga said it is routine for officers to be transferred if they have been in a position for too long.

Warrant-Officer Loide Neis was moved to the Katutura police station. She was replaced by Warrant-Officer Paulus Martin, who officially assumed duty last week Thursday.

Shilunga also declined to say how long Neis had been stationed at the court. “I cannot say how long,” Shilunga said. “Why are they talking about her, (Neis) and not about other officers?” he queried. Inspector General, Lieutenant General Sebastian Ndeitunga, said following the incident with the journalist, he made it clear to the regional commander that he did not want to see a repeat of the incident “and that he should take measures.”

Chaos broke out at the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court on February 24, after the man accused of murdering a 32-year-old trainee pastor from Botswana attacked Allgemeine Zeitung journalist, Marc Springer, knocking down the journalist with a vicious blow behind the ear. The accused was not handcuffed at the time. Following the incident, police officers were asked why the accused was not handcuffed and they allegedly said that Neis had refused to give them handcuffs, saying they were for her use alone, sources told New Era. She allegedly also refused to provide them with guns on the same grounds.

Andre Castri Friedel Dausab, an IT technician at Namcol, made a first appearance on a charge of murder before Magistrate Jermaine Muchali Muchali on February 24, following the proceedings the police led a very aggressive Dausab out of A-Court. While walking past members of the public and journalists in the corridor, the accused broke loose and allegedly attacked Springer. He was however quickly subdued by officers at the scene. The accused put up a struggle up to the holding cells with his lawyer jumping into the crowd to try to protect his client from any blows. It is alleged that Dausab stabbed the third year student at the theological college several times in the chest and arms before he struck the fatal blow in the neck and then slit her throat in her room at the campus in Pioneers Park, Extension One.

Source : New Era