Okahandja CEO Leaves Before Time

THE Okahandja municipality CEO has made an early exit from the council following the announcement of his resignation last week.

Frans Enkali told The Namibian that his last working day is today and the council will pay him his salary and packages respectively.

Enkali’s last day in office was initially supposed to be next Friday but he says council decided to release him early.

He also refuted claims that he has been fired by the town’s mayor Valeri Aaron and said such claims were “meant to tarnish my name. It’s stupid to say that I have been fired. How can I be fired when I have already handed in my resignation letter that was accepted by the council?” he asked. Enkali branded such claims as “garbage in and garbage out”.

Despite putting up a brave front, sources close to the council allege that some members of the council orchestrated Enkali’s resignation by “forcing him to resign, including Aaron herself, because he disagreed with some of the decisions being made by the council, especially over a recent road construction tender”.

“Enkali didn’t want to have a hand in the town’s corrupt activities, and they saw him as a threat,” said a source.

The source alleges that the council wanted to push through a decision to award a road construction tender to an unnamed local businessman.

“The tender is worth N$10 million, but since the council claims there is no money, it has decided to compensate him by giving him a plot of land measuring 80 hectares which will obviously be worth more than N$10 million if they had paid him in cash,” reveals the source. Another company came forward bidding for less than N$10 million to construct the road, but council rejected the bid.

Community members have also requested local government minister Charles Namoloh to assign someone from the head office to act as CEO in the meantime.

“We are afraid they (council) will appoint someone who will continue their mission to corrupt the town further,” said the source. Enkali denied that he was forced to resign, or that council got rid of him because of his refusal to approve some of their “corrupt” decisions, saying “Let the truth come out through community members. The truth will come out soon.”

Community members also accused community activist and chairperson of the Community Committee at the town, Johannes Venter, saying that he accepted bribes from the town council. Sources say that Venter was awarded erf 74 last year in November to buy his silence after he threatened to expose corrupt practices taking place within the council.

The town’s residents have long complained that their applications for land, some dating back as far as 2009, are yet to be considered, saying that the council has been allocating land to Chinese developers.

“He (Venter) had evidence against the council which he planned to take to the ministry and the Anti Corruption Commission, but dropped those plans immediately after receiving the piece of land from council,” said the source. The Namibian is also informed that erf 74 was supposed to be allocated to a resident who had applied for it back in 2009. Venter has since severed ties with the committee who passed a vote of no confidence in him following the bribery allegation.

Although The Namibian has it on good record that Venter was allocated a piece of land, Venter denied the allegations, saying that he applied for land in 2013 just like any ordinary citizen.

“Your sources are liars. I was only given a general residential erf this week and this is only for conducting my business. I’m still negotiating with the council about my application,” he charged.

He also said that he was still a community activist and has sent the evidence of corruption to the ACC. “Whatever you are being told, are lies by those who want to overthrow the local authority. There is no truth to it,” he said. Aaron could not be reached for comment.

Source : The Namibian