Outjo Man Denies Multiple Rape, Murder Charges

AN Outjo man accused of murdering a two-year-old boy and raping the boy’s mother, four months after he had allegedly raped another woman repeatedly, has pleaded not guilty to a multitude of charges in the Windhoek High Court.

Johannes Lukuwa Hausiku’s trial on 15 charges – made up of eight counts of rape, a charge of murder, two counts of attempted rape, two counts of kidnapping, a charge of robbery with aggravating circumstances and a charge of defeating or obstructing the course of justice, or attempting to do so – started before Judge Nate Ndauendapo on Thursday.

After Hausiku (40) pleaded not guilty to each of the charges, his defence lawyer, Mbanga Siyomunji, informed the judge that Hausiku would not offer a plea explanation to the court, and that the State would have to prove each of the allegations being made against him.

In the indictment recording the charges, the State is alleging that Hausiku kidnapped a woman at Outjo while she was walking home from a shebeen during the night of 28 to 29 January 2012. He allegedly assaulted the woman, pulled her into a bushy area, where he detained her, and raped her repeatedly. Hausiku is also accused of robbing the woman of her cellphone.

He is charged with a count of kidnapping, six counts of rape, and a charge of robbery with aggravating circumstances in connection with that incident.

Hausiku is further accused of having tried to rape a woman at Outjo on the night of 29 January 2012 when he allegedly attacked her after she, too, had visited a shebeen.

The other six charges against Hausiku date from the night of 30 to 31 May 2012.

The prosecution’s allegations against Hausiku in respect of those charges are again that he attacked a woman who had been drinking at shebeens at Outjo.

The woman took her two-year-old son with her when she visited the shebeens, and at some stage Hausiku allegedly bought alcohol for her. The woman got drunk and when she left the last shebeen on foot, Hausiku allegedly kidnapped her by detaining her in a bushy area. The State is charging that he also raped her and attempted to rape her after detaining her.

Hausiku is further accused of having murdered the woman’s child by stabbing him with a knife and hitting him with a blunt object on the head.

Due to her drunken state the child’s mother could not remember the events of the previous night when she woke up in Hausiku’s company the next morning, it is claimed in the indictment. Hausiku then allegedly told her that he had rescued her from four men who had killed her son and wanted to kill her, and subsequently also made that claim in a statement that he made to the police.

Hausiku’s claim led to the arrest of four Angolan refugees living at Outjo, who ended up spending nearly five months in police custody before the charges against them were dropped.

Hausiku pleaded guilty to charges of murder and rape – both relating to the incident that took place during the night of 30 to 31 May 2012 – during an appearance in the Outjo Magistrate’s Court in September 2012. The record of those court proceedings became an exhibit in his trial without objections from Siyomunji on Thursday.

Hausiku told the presiding magistrate that he and the complainant, who was drunk, actually had consensual sex. He also told the magistrate that he wanted to kill the complainant by stabbing her with a knife, but that he mistakenly stabbed her son, who was being carried in his mother’s arms, in the neck, killing him.

The boy’s body was found only on 9 June 2012.

Medical doctor Yury Vasin, who carried out an autopsy on the boy, testified on Friday that a depressed skull fracture that he observed led him to conclude that the most probable cause of the boy’s death was a blow to the top of his head with a heavy, blunt object, such as a stone or a stick. However, he could not exclude the possibility of other causes of death, which could not be detected because of the state of decomposition of the body, Dr Vasin also said.

Hausiku is being kept in custody. State aocate Ethel Ndlovu is prosecuting.

Source : The Namibian