Pohamba hands over first houses of mass housing project

WALVIS BAY: President Hifikepunye Pohamba handed over the first 89 houses of the Government’s mass housing program to beneficiaries at Walvis Bay on Tuesday.

The beneficiaries use to live in shacks build at the backyards of their families and friends in Kuisebmund residential area.

These completed houses are part of the 1 595 houses being constructed in Kuisebmund’s Kabeljou Street of Walvis Bay.

Pohamba expressed his excitement that after he launched the project on 25 November 2013, his dream came true when he is able to hand over the first 89 houses.

The Head of State noted that this program is aimed at addressing the housing need experienced in the country.

He promised that Government would continue to make sure that more people receive houses under the housing initiative.

“More houses will be handed over in the next months, our government is committed to ensuring the success of this program,” said the President.

He send out a message to the local authorities in the country to make sure that the houses being build under mass housing are quality properties which will not start cracking two years after being occupied.

He also called for fairness and transparency in the process of approving beneficiaries of the mass housing, saying there should be no corruption or favouritism.

“Those who apply first must be given the houses first, I do not want a situation where those who just applied lately receives the houses because they are well known to those close to the selection process,” he urged.

Government is subsidizing 60 per cent on D1 and Core five categories of houses, making it easier for the beneficiary to pay only the remaining 40 per cent on the cost of the house.

On Core six and seven Government pays for 50 per cent and the owner pays for the remaining 50 per cent on the cost of the house.

“We will move with deliberate speed to ensure that those who do not have houses receive houses under this program,” said a joyful Pohamba.

The beneficiaries thanked Government for making their dreams of owning houses a reality.

“I thought I will never see this day when I get the keys to my own houses. We are thankful to Government for building houses for the poor,” said Petrus Kondo on behalf of all beneficiaries.

SOURCE: NAMPA