Rape Dominates the Crime Scene

THE past weekend is widely regarded as a black one for women after a number of sexual assaults were reported to the police.

At the southern village of Gibeon, a mourning family was dealt another blow when a cattle herder, who was attending a villager’s funeral, allegedly raped another mourner.

The 53-year-old complainant, who was asleep at the time, “just felt a human weight on top of her body”, Inspector Slogan Matheus, a police spokesperson, said yesterday.

When she woke up, the suspect allegedly jumped up from her and ran away.

They were both camping outside the bereaved family’s house when the alleged incident took place at about 02h46 on Saturday in the Gibeon Old Location.

Despite a large-scale joint search operation embarked upon by the Gibeon community and the police, the suspect remained at large by yesterday afternoon.

The man, employed as a cattle herder in the Mariental area, is believed to be well-known to the bereaved family.

Matheus said the police investigation continues.

Following a night out, a 29-year-old woman was also allegedly raped in the capital yesterday morning.

This incident took place at about 02h00 in a river bed in Mathisthi Street in the Greenwell Matongo area of Katutura.

According to Matheus, the complainant was en route home after a night out when she was allegedly sexually assaulted.

She told police investigators that when she got into a taxi outside a bar in Greenwell Matongo, an unknown male fellow patron also flagged the same public transport operator.

When the taxi reached the complainant’s house, the man also disembarked the vehicle.

After the taxi drove away, he allegedly grabbed her, dragged her to a nearby river bed where he raped her.

The suspect in this case was also still on the run from the police by yesterday afternoon, Matheus confirmed.

Another case of rape has been reported to the police in the Kavango East region.

At about 02h46 on Saturday, an 18-year-old woman was allegedly raped as she was walking home after a visit to a friend.

Matheus said the complainant was allegedly approached by an unknown man who dragged her to his bedroom and raped her.

The incident took place in the Ndama Compound in Rundu.

Since the incident, the suspect has vanished without a trace, the police officer said.

Meanwhile, Nampa reported that a 36-year-old woman was raped by an unknown man in the Gammams river bed in Khomasdal on Friday afternoon.

It was reported that the woman was on her way from Khomasdal to visit a friend living in the Funky Town area near the Woerman Hyper shopping complex and took a short cut through the river bed between 15h00 and 16h00.

The suspect allegedly grabbed the woman and pulled her into bushes near the vehicle bridge across the Gammams River along Florence Nightingale Street where no one could see them, and proceeded to rape her.

City Police Senior Superintendent Gerry Shikesho told Nampa on Saturday that the suspect had no other intention but to rape, because all her belongings were still on her when police arrived at the scene.

He said the victim was rushed to the Katutura State Hospital for treatment.

Shikesho noted that the City Police will monitor the Gammams river bed area as another incident of attempted rape there was reported last weekend.

In that incident, a woman in her mid-20s was allegedly nearly raped by a man, thought by the City Police to be the same suspect of the latest rape.

The woman managed to run away after a passer-by saw what was happening and started screaming. This action distracted the suspect, giving the victim an opportunity to escape.

Shikesho said the description of the suspect which was given by both victims matches.

Source : The Namibian