Rehoboth Make Statement With Victory Over Unam

Rehoboth made a statement of intent that they are aiming for there title this year when they beat Unam 8-3 in a tough Rugby Premier League encounter at the Unam stadium on Saturday.

Rehoboth gave a great attacking performance to take a 8-3 halftime lead and then defended heroically as they held the powerful Unam pack at bay in the second half.

Unam once again only have themselves to blame, as they threw away many scoring chances through unforced errors.

Conservative tactics also counted against them as they won several penalties in try-scoring positions but opted to kick for posts, but place kicker Aurelio Plato had an off day with the boot.

Rehoboth came out attacking and pressurised Unam from the start with some g runs by their forwards and backs, with flanker Huscit Visagie at the forefront.

After the opposing kickers Plato and Howard Titus each missed an early penalty attempt, Rehoboth took the lead when Titus went blindside from a scrum and sent wing Keathan Freygang over in the corner.

Rehoboth continued to attack, with centre Attie du Plessis and wing Fabian Routh putting in some g runs and went further ahead when Titus landed a great penalty from the halfway line on 26m.

Plato opened Unam’s account with a penalty on 30m and then narrowly missed another just before halftime as Rehoboth went into the break 8-3 up.

Unam started to dominate possession with their heavier pack in the second half but they could not break through Rehoboth’s committed defence, while some promising attacks broke down due to knock ons and poor options.

On two occasions they won penalties close to Rehoboth’s line, but in stead of going for a try they opted to kick. Plato however missed both attempts and Rehoboth held on for a fine victory.

Rehoboth coach Eden Meyer said it was a good win although they still have a long way to go.

“It was a good win, but our fitness levels still need to improve. Then we also missed Johan Wohler’s leadership up front, after he injured his ankle during training. But if we pick up our fitness we hope to reach the final again this year,” he said.

Rehoboth have been the losing finalists for the past four years in a row and Meyer said this year they had to reach that elusive title.

“We’ve come so close in the past and if we don’t win the title this year, then I’m finished with rugby,” he said.

Western Suburbs meanwhile remained on top of Group B when they beat Reho Falcon 28-21 in Rehoboth.

Suburbs seemed to be cruising to victory when they led 21-9 at halftime but Falcons launched a g fightback with two second half tries to force a close finish.

For Suburbs, fullback Jafet Tjinho scored two tries and flyhalf Justin Nel and scrum half Keanan Wellmann one each, while Nel converted all four.

For Falcons, centre Des Lee Beukes and wing Sylvano Beukes scored tries while Beukes added three penalties and a conversion.

United maintained their lead in Group A with a comfortable 42-11 home win against Kudus, after leading 16-3 at halftime.

United scored six tries with eighth man Adriaan Cloete and flanker Sven Reimers scoring a brace each and fullback Herman Stroh and wing Donovan van Wyk one each, while lock Winmar Rust added three conversions and two penalties.

In another Group A match, Wanderers thrashed Dolphins 67-0 in Swakopmund.

Source : The Namibian