Riekert’s alleged killer denied bail

KEETMANSHOOP; Twenty-year-old Jamee Afrikaner, an accused in the murder of Elton Riekert, 20, was denied bail in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Reading out her verdict on the formal bail application in front of a full court, magistrate Helena Nepembe said that granting bail would not be in the interest of society.

“The murder in question was executed under brutal circumstances – which seems to be on the increase everywhere. As a result, society lives in fear and the interests of society have to be protected,” she stated.

Nepembe indicated that the seriousness of the offense and society’s interests were the only grounds on which the court arrived at its verdict.

Contrary to the State’s arguments, the magistrate said the court found the accused not to be a flight risk and said that there was no evidence that he would interfere with State witnesses.

She noted that Afrikaner was a first offender and had indicated that he would plead not guilty.

Nepembe said further investigations may implicate and lead to the arrest of more suspects in the alleged murder.

In his bail application hearing, Afrikaner testified that there were members of another gang on the scene of the crime as well.

After the completion of his bail application hearing, Afrikaner was joined by fellow accused Lorensius Kooitjie, 21; Edmund Coetzee, 18; Brandon Jossop, 20; Revival Kooitjie, 18; and Daniel Mathewis, 18, for continuation of their trial.

It was however postponed for further investigations and the finalisation of legal representation for the accused.

The six are charged with murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances. During the attack on Riekert, the accused allegedly removed his belt, trousers, shoes and socks.

The case is remanded to 29 January 2015. All six remain in custody.

Riekert was assaulted on 27 September 2014 near a bar in Keetmanshoop’s Tseiblaagte residential area.

He suffered fatal injuries after an alleged gang attack by the suspects in an open area.

He died in an ambulance en-route to Windhoek where he was to receive emergency treatment.