Rundu theft suspects’ case postponed to August

RUNDU: The case of three security guards accused of robbing the First National Bank of Namibia (FNB) branch at Rundu some two months ago, has been delayed until August this year.

Magnus Muteka, 36; Gabriel Kapanga, 35; and Petrus Kandjendje, 49; were employed by the Mpungu Security Company and allegedly stole N.dollars 1,08 million from the bank’s Rundu FNB branch on 28 April.

N.dollars 1,05 million of that amount was recovered the next day.

The accused persons made their second appearance in the Rundu Magistrate’s Court on Monday, where the case was delayed in order for the first two accused to obtain legal aid representation.

They informed Rundu Magistrate Esme Molefe that they are yet to receive a response on their applications to the Justice Ministry’s Directorate of Legal Aid.

The magistrate thus postponed the case to 19 August this year for a response.

Kandjendje is out on bail of N.dollars 25 000, while Muteka and Kapanga are still in custody as they are yet to pay their bail of the same amount each.

The Namibian Police Force (NamPol) in the Kavango East and West regions are yet to recover the remaining N.dollars 30 000 stolen from FNB in the incident.

During their bail hearing last month, Rundu Magistrate Molefe agreed to grant the accused persons bail, but with several conditions attached.

The first condition was that they are not to leave the district of Rundu without the permission of the head of the serious crime unit, Sergeant John Kakoro, and they were to surrender all their traveling documents to the investigating officer.

The accused persons were warned not to commit any offence while out on bail, and they must report to the Rundu Police Station on a daily basis. They are also not allowed to interfere with police investigations.

Kandjendje is represented by private lawyer Chris van Sittert, while the other two accused represented themselves because they are still awaiting a response from the Directorate of Legal Aid.

The accused security guards are facing charges of theft.