Security Firm Disowns Guards’ Action

The chief executive officer of Inter Africa Security Services, Abisai Nendongo, has distanced the company from the incident in which two of their security guards allegedly killed a young man over the weekend saying the shooting took place in a private set up.

Nendongo was reacting to allegations that the two accused security guards, who tortured and killed 21-year-old Jesaya Kaipiti in a residential area on Friday, are both employees of his company and that the firearm used belonged to his company.

“I can confirm that both men are my employees but one of them is not a security guard. He is office-bound and is not authorised to carry any weapon,” Nendongo told The Namibian yesterday.

This is the second shooting incident involving the company’s security guards in less than six months. In October last year, a guard fatally shot a Grade 10 pupil at Ella du Plessis Secondary School, bringing the company’s handling of firearms into question.

According to witnesses of Friday’s incident who also know the suspects well, the two guards were carrying a weapon that belonged to the company.

Nendongo said the public should not confuse the two incidents because the guard who shot the pupil at Ella du Plessis last year was on duty when the incident happened but Friday’s shooting happened when the two suspects were off duty.

“In the first incident, a security guard on duty was doing his job to protect one of the teachers from an attack at the school. This latest incident was done in a private setting and has nothing to do with my company,” he stressed.

Nendongo added that none of his employees (security guards) are authorised to take company weapons home. He could, however, not explain how the two suspects happened to be in possession of a firearm outside their duty stations saying he was not sure whether the weapon belonged to his company or not.

“I suspect the security guard was on duty at that time and was called by the other [suspect] to assist him, and if indeed that is what happened, then he acted out of conduct,” he said.

Meanwhile, the three accused, including the friend of the deceased, Hiskia Kandovazu, are expected to appear in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court in Katutura today.

According to sources, the hearing, which was initially scheduled for yesterday, was postponed because the court schedule was full.

Community members told The Namibian that they plan a demonstration against the unfair arrest of Kandovazu at the magistrate’s court.

Police spokesperson Edwin Kanguatjivi said investigations are still ongoing. “An autopsy was supposed to be performed today (yesterday), but we are still awaiting the results, so hopefully we will have more information for you in the course of the week,” he said.

Source : The Namibian