South African Murder Suspect Denied Bail

South African national Wilhelm Wimpie Derick Februarie, 34, who stands accused of suffocating to death and raping a 56-year-old woman in June, was denied bail late yesterday afternoon in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court.

Magistrate Jermaine Muchali denied him bail on the grounds he has a previous conviction, and is likely to abscond.

The magistrate also took public interest into account when he denied the accused bail. The State is opposed to Februarie being granted bail for fear that he would pose a very serious flight risk if he were to be released.

Boris Isaacks the defence lawyer said he wanted his client to be treated fairly, as the law says that everyone is equal before the law. Februarie pleaded not guilty to the charges when his bail hearing commenced last Wednesday.

He stands accused of rape and the murder of Dinah Diedericks, 56, in Windhoek West on 22 June this year.

Last week on Thursday Magistrate Jermaine Muchali reserved judgment until yesterday 17 September, when the case was postponed to 18 November this year.

Februarie was arrested on 22 June and has been in custody since.

Available information suggests Februarie and the deceased were part of a group of people that attended a party.

After the party they took a taxi together and after the taxi dropped off the victim, Februarie remained behind. He allegedly then somehow got into the deceased’s house and raped her whereafter he allegedly strangled her. In June, the State gly objected to bail and called the crimes “very serious” when taken together.

At the time, Prosecutor Verinao Kamahene argued that it would not be in the interest of justice nor public interest to grant bail to Februarie. He said the investigations were at a very sensitive stage. According to Kamahene, the State has a real fear that the accused might abscond if granted bail as he is a South African citizen.

Tatelo Lusepani represented the State.

Source : New Era

Leave a Reply