Stars’ Application Deferred to 20 June

African Stars’ application for a court order to stop the completion of the Namibia Premier League has been set aside for 20 June.

This means that the final round of the NPL season will go ahead on Saturday, 14 June.

Earlier on Friday, Stars had approached the High Court to apply for an interdict to stop Saturday’s NPL matches taking place.

After having two appeals turned away by the Namibia Football Association on technicalities, Stars are seeking to have the NPL’s decision to have their abandoned match resumed for the remaining eight minutes annulled.

Should Stars’ application be successful, it would throw the conclusion of the domestic football season into further doubt.

This is despite assurances from the league sponsor MTC that the matter had been resolved and that the Premiership winners would be crowned on Saturday.

The source claims that Stars have not informed the NPL about their attempts to get an interdict and that the other clubs are also unaware of their intentions.

Failure to conclude the matter could result in the nullification of the current NPL season, said the source.

“There is a certain timeframe within which the league must be concluded. If we go over that, the NFA or FIFA can order the nullification of the season. Seen in the light of Stars not wanting to give up, the matter may drag until into the new season. In that case, and to prevent overlaps, the season will be declared null and void to allow us to start the new season,” a source told The Namibian.

Source : The Namibian