Stars, Pirates Result in the Balance Helge Schutz

THE outcome of Wednesday night’s Namibia Premier League match between Orlando Pirates and African Stars will only be announced later this week, according to NPL chairman JJ Doeseb. The match was called off after the floodlights failed about ten minutes from time, with Pirates leading 2-0 at that stage, after goals by Nicky Musambani and Brian Gurirab. The lights failed to come on again and the referee called the match off about 30 minutes later. The management committee of the NPL will now have to make a decision on the outcome of the match. They can either decide to replay the whole game, to replay the final ten minutes, or to let the result stand and give Pirates the victory. According to Doeseb, they will first investigate the circumstances of the match before making an announcement.

“We are busy with internal procedures and will make an announcement later this week,” he said. “There are different rules which are all subject to interpretation. I don’t want to pre-empt our investigation, so all I can say is that we will issue a press release later this week,” he added. In Wednesday’s match, Pirates did the early attacking and after some early forays by Terdius Uiseb and Gustav Isaack, Musambani opened the scoring on 30 minutes when he pounced onto a loose ball in midfield and unleashed a cracking long range shot that hit the roof of the net. Eight minutes later it was 2-0 after a great goal by Brian Gurirab. Pirates won a freekick after Uiseb was fouled just outside the box and Gurirab unleashed a cracker that gave Stars’ keeper Athiel Mbaha no chance. Stars came close early in the second half when Edwin Korukuve had a shot tipped for a corner, but Pirates still did most of the attacking with Marcello Haraseb and the impressive Isaack coming close. But just as it seemed that Pirates would celebrate a fine victory, the floodlights went off ten minutes from time. On Saturday, Black Africa’s title charge was temporarily halted when they were held to a 2-all draw against Rundu Chiefs in Rundu. Katjukua Uaseuko gave Chiefs an early lead but Bryan Bantam struck back just before halftime.

Chiefs took a 2-1 lead through Alex Gochab midway through the second half and seemed to be heading for victory, but a last minute goal by Emilio Martin gave BA a share of the spoils. Black Africa coach Brian Isaacs was not happy with their performance. “My players were off form and their performance was not up to standard. Rundu Chiefs were hungrier for victory and they played as if they needed the points more than us,” he said. “Luckily we got a draw which was important and now we must just focus on our remaining matches. We have some tough matches ahead, so now it’s going to be make or break. But the ball is in our court and if we win our remaining matches we will be champions,” he added. Comment on this article

Source : The Namibian