Suburbs Back With a Bang

DEFENDING champions Western Suburbs got back to winning ways in emphatic style when they beat Unam 41-16 in a Rugby Premier League match at Suburbs Park on Saturday.

In other matches on Saturday, United beat Wanderers 19-12 at Wanderers, Reho Falcon beat Polytech 35-8 in Windhoek, and Walvis Bay beat Dolphins 38-19 at the coast.

After losing their opening match 21-17 to Rehoboth last week, Suburbs gave a polished performance as they ran in five converted tries for a comprehensive victory over Unam.

Suburbs initially struggled in the scrums against Unam’s heavier pack and conceded several penalties. Unam capitalised with flyhalf Aurelio Plato landing three penalties to take a 9-6 lead, while Justin Nel added two for Suburbs.

While Unam had the upper hand in the scrums, Suburbs’ back line looked dangerous and they took a 13-6 lead when left wing Deveroux Jansen completed a swift back line move.

Just before halftime centre Darryl de la Harpe broke through a few Unam tackles to score next to the posts and with Nel once again converting, they took a 20-9 lead at the break.

The second half had barely begun when Suburbs went 27-9 ahead after a great attack, involving forwards and backs, that was rounded off by Nel who once again converted.

Suburbs maintained the pressure and when hooker Rathony Becker pounced to kick a dropped Unam pass forward, they quickly won a ruck and De la Harpe burst through for his second try, converted by Nel, as they went 34-9 ahead.

Unam’s forwards hammered away at Suburbs’ try line but the home team defended heroically until Unam eighthman Bwalya Bwalya finally went over for a converted try after incessant pressure.

The game opened up in the final stages with attacks by both sides and Suburbs had the final say when reserve scrumhalf Ascher Coetzee went over for a try after a fine attack by lock Mune Tjiueza.

The match was much closer than the scoreline reflected, but the difference was that Suburbs made full use of their chances, while Unam wasted theirs.

At the Wanderers field, United produced a great second half comeback to beat Wanderers 19-12.

Wanderers took a 9-3 lead at halftime, with flyhalf Dian Jacobs putting over three penalties to one by United lock Winmar Rust.

In the second half United however took the lead after a try by wing Stefan Louw, converted by Rust. Rust and Jacobs each also added three more penalties as United held on for the victory.

In Windhoek, Reho Falcon scored a comfortable 35-8 victory against Polytech.

Reho Falcon scored five tries, all converted by flyhalf Des Lee Beukes, who scored a try himself for a personal tally of 15 points. Their other try scorers were prop Pieter Beukes, local Delrick van Wyk, centre Greg Stein and fullback Anthony Brandt.

Source : The Namibian