The Rock Shines Again

Paulus ‘The Rock’ Ambunda conceded that he was effective rather than overwhelmingly dominant against Cristian Palma as he unified the IBFWBA International super bantamweight titles in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Returning to the ring for the first time since losing the WBO bantamweight world title last year, Ambunda paced himself throughout the bout, that was delayed by two hours due to power outages at Omuthiya Park, and put in a performance that convinced the judges to score the fight 116-112, 119-109, 120-113 in his favour.

“The fight went well but I wasn’t expecting this. I thought I would finish him in six rounds,” Ambunda told reporters.

The former world champion was making reference to his dominant display in the first five rounds when he had the South American retreating but failed to deliver the killer blow.

Palma looked the better fighter in rounds seven and eight, repeatedly landing solid body punches which forced Ambunda to temporarily abandon his favoured pressing style.

However, Ambunda gathered himself to again take control in the remaining rounds of the fight.

Ambunda said he hardly felt the step up in class even though Palma, given that he was more accustomed to fighting at super bantamweight, claimed before the fight that it would be a walk in the park facing the Namibian.

“There’s no big difference between the super bantamweight and bantamweight. It’s more or less the same that’s why I managed to win the fight. I’m happy with my performance. I just need to improve on some of the mistakes that I made. I must just go back to the gym and try to improve my game,” he said.

His trainer Nestor Tobias said Ambunda had achieved his main objective and proved he still has the desire for high profile assignments.

“We trained to win. And today he went in there, did his best and he won the fight. That’s what we were working for, so he can get back in the top rating to fight for the world title again. So this was a step forward for him. He must just go back to the gym and work hard and prepare to fight for big things,” said Tobias.


Bethuel ‘Tyson’ Ushona arguably provided the highlight of the event, when he outclassed Ghanaian Ebenezer Lamptey to score a tenth round TKO victory and retain his WBO Africa welterweight title in the main supporting bout.

Ushona’s hand speed and footwork proved too much for the Ghanaian, who looked lethargic and heavy on his feet.

And following a barrage of blows to the head in the tenth round, referee Timo Haikonda stepped in to end the contest.

The victory keeps alive Ushona’s ambition to land a title fight against WBO world champion Filipino Manny Pacquiao.

Before Ushona had the crowd, including Prime Minister Hage Geingob, on their feet, WBO Africa cruiserweight title holder Vikapita Meroro also impressively dismissed Tanzania’s Alphonce Mchumistumbo inside the distance to enhance his world rating.

Meroro was hardly troubled by the Tanzanian, who despite not hitting the canvas was convincingly beaten and offered little offensively.

In Round 11, South African referee Wally Snowball finally called an end to the fight after Meroro forced a cowering Mchumistumbo on the ropes and proceeded to land head and body shots at will.


The bonanza was marred by a repetitive power outage that delayed proceedings for more than two hours and forced the live airing of the main bout on national television to be cancelled.

Tobias said it had dented the occasion somewhat and that he was indebted to those that braved the chilly weather and darkness to see the event through.

“I just want to apologise to the fans and to the Prime Minister for the blackout. That was a technical matter beyond our control,” said Tobias.

In other results: Kapena Naidjala lost by a split decision to Emmanuel Mungandjela in a welterweight four rounder Jeremia Nakathila won a unanimous decision against David Eghumbo in a junior lightweight fight over four rounds Johannes Simon beat Abner Mwafangeyo by unanimous decision Japhet Utoni beat Amagola Neaman by TKO in the fifth round of their flyweight bout Sakaria Lukas knocked out Immanuel Andreki within one minute 30 seconds of their featherweight contest and Onesmus Nekundi overpowered Daniel Ausiku to win their super bantamweight clash by unanimous decision.

Source : The Namibian