Tomorrow’s Two-Nations Boxing Tourney Postponed

The much-hyped Namibia Boxing Federation (NBF) Two-Nations Amateur Boxing Tournament between Namibia and South Africa, which was initially scheduled to take place tomorrow at the Windhoek Country Club, has been postponed.

NBF Secretary General Joe Kaperu announced the postponement of the tourney at a brief press conference yesterday, saying the deferment was caused by the South African Amateur Boxing Association’s lack of funds to send boxers to Namibia, as well as other technical issues said to be beyond their control.

Despite not giving an alternative date for the postponed tourney, Kaperu said boxers that were initially selected for the deferred tourney would go ahead with preparations and training as they will “now be sent to a joint training camp in Botswana starting on May 11-18”. The training camp will be organized by the NBF and their Botswana counterparts.

Upon completion of the training camp, Namibia will take on hosts Botswana and Lesotho in a two-day Tri-Nations Test Tournament, to be staged in Gaborone, Botswana on May 17-18. Kaperu added that it was imperative for Namibia to compete at the Botswana Tri-Nations tourney as it would keep them intact and well prepared going to the much anticipated Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland later this year.

The Namibians were also supposed to attend another training camp in Spain later this month, organized by the NBF in conjunction with the Spanish Boxing Federation (SBF) but Kaperu said the Spanish trip had been momentarily put on hold to sort out a few financial and technical issues. By Otniel Hembapu

Source : New Era