Woman Buries Newborn Under Bed

A KATUTURA woman was arrested on Monday afternoon after she allegedly buried her newborn baby boy in a shallow hole under her bed in her shack between last week Sunday and Monday, the police said.

Police spokesperson Sergeant Slogan Matheus said the 22-year-old was pregnant and complained to her employer, a shebeen owner, that she was not feeling well.

“She requested to be released from work on 2 November. The following day her employer’s son visited her shack in Ombili informal settlement and found that she was no longer pregnant but did not see a baby in her room,” Matheus said.

On Wednesday, the woman was admitted at Katutura State Hospital when she went with undisclosed complaints, Matheus further said.

Matheus said the baby was discovered on Friday when the woman’s elder sister visited her in hospital and she asked her to fetch cosmetics from her shack.

“On opening the door to the shack, the sister detected a g foul smell. When she investigated the source of the smell, she discovered the body of a baby boy buried under the bed, with flies swarming all over it,” Matheus said.

When The Namibian visited the Katutura State Hospital yesterday, the woman, who was under police guard, had already been discharged.

She was accompanied by police officers to the Women and Child Protection Unit and was later taken into custody at the Wanaheda Police Station.

The Khomas regional crime coordinator Sylvanus Nghishidimbwa said they are still investigating the incident.

“We are looking into murder and alternatively concealment of death. She is in a stable condition,” Nghishidimbwa said.

According to a source, when the accused gave birth, her baby boy was apparently alive.

“From what transpired from the interview the police had with the accused, it seems the baby was born alive and that the suspect cried after she had given birth. What happened after that, we don’t know. When she arrived at the hospital, she claimed that a small thing came out of her but she did not know what it was,” the source said.

Meanwhile, the accused was expected to appear in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court in Katutura yesterday, but did not because the senior prosecutor sent her docket back to the investigating officer for further information.

Source : The Namibian