No Bail for ‘Notorious Struggle Kids’

FIVE ‘struggle kids’, who allegedly entered the Katutura Police Station by force on Friday evening and freed a colleague, have been denied bail.

The five – Titus Iita (31), Martin Shikongo (33), Teobard Kahala (32), Toivo Mwatile (29), and John Shikenga (30) – made their first appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court in Katutura yesterday.

State representative Erick Naikaku opposed the granting of bail to the five on the grounds that the investigations into their case were still at an initial stage, and because they could interfere with police investigations once released on bail.

The five were, however, informed by the court to each bring a formal bail application if they want to be released on bail.

They appeared in person, and all of them said they will defend themselves during future court proceedings and once the trial begins.

The five are each charged with malicious damage to property and defeating the course of justice. Their case was remanded until 10 November this year pending further police investigations into the matter.

Police public relations officer deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi told a media briefing on Sunday that a mob of about 20 ‘struggle kids’ arrived at the Katutura Police Station on Friday evening, demanding the release of a fellow ‘struggle kid’.

The group, which recently suffered the loss of Frieda Ndatipo, when shots were fired during a scuffle with police on Wednesday last week, entered the Katutura Police Station and allegedly broke the burglar bars. They freed their comrade and left the station.

Kanguatjivi said a police officer was on duty, but the group managed to remove him and entered the holding cells.

The five accused were arrested on Saturday at about 08h00 by members of the Namibian Police Reserve Force Unit.

– Nampa

Source : The Namibian