Bail Refused in Uis Attack Case

A LONG wait in custody for the continuation of their trial is in store for the two men accused of violently attacking an elderly couple during a robbery at Uis almost four years ago, after their request to be released on bail was turned down in the Windhoek High Court on Monday.

Delivering his ruling on a bail application by Edwin Tourob and Charles Namiseb, who are facing a count of robbery with aggravating circumstances, two counts of attempted murder, and multiple charges of rape, Judge Alfred Siboleka said in his view it would not be in the interest of the public or of the administration of justice to release the two accused on bail.

He said that was his conclusion after he had taken into account the seriousness of the charges faced by the two accused, the fact that substantial prison terms were likely to be the result if they were to be found guilty and that this could be an inducement for them to try to evade justice, and the age of the couple the men are accused of having attacked.

Tourob (34) and Namiseb (32) launched a bail application after their trial was postponed to 15 July 2015 nearly five months ago.

The prosecution, represented by State aocate Innocentia Nyoni, has indicated that it plans to present the testimony from only one more witness to the court before it will be closing its case. That witness is a forensic scientist who is supposed to testify about DNA analysis that was done as part of the investigation of the two men’s case.

Tourob and Namiseb are accused of carrying out a bloody attack on an elderly couple at Uis on 3 October 2010.

During the attack, a 72-year-old man was assaulted when he was struck against the head with a spade, before he was dragged into his and his wife’s house, where he was tied up with an electrical cord.

His wife, then 69 years old, was also assaulted and tied up in the house by two assailants, the prosecution is alleging. Having tied up the woman, the two attackers allegedly raped her.

She was seriously injured in the attack. The assailants allegedly also robbed the couple by stealing their car, money, two firearms and jewellery, with a total value of about N$78 900, from them.

Tourob was arrested on the same day as the attack, after he had been wounded when the police shot at the stolen car of the couple as it drove through a police roadblock between Uis and Khorixas.

He claimed during the bail hearing that despite a bullet wound that he sustained to his buttocks he ran after the driver of the car, who had picked him up when he was looking for transport, to try to catch the driver when he was fleeing from the police roadblock.

Defence lawyers Brownell Uirab and Christian Nambahu are representing Namiseb and Tourob respectively.

Source : The Namibian