Businesses cut off from main road in Opuwo

OPUWO: The delay in the completion of the construction of the rainwater storm drainage system in Opuwo Town is affecting customers to visit some businesses here.

Some business owners in Opuwo of businesses’ entrances that had been cut off from the main road by the tranches dug for the purpose of installing the planned drainage system raised concern of the affect these tranches have on their customers.

According to the owner of Sbogae Restaurant, Petrus Moses the Opuwo town council and its contractor that is responsible for the connection of the drainage system was supposed to had left provision of entrances to business open, rather than digging tranches along the main road without leaving any space in front of some businesses.

“The tranches were dug in December 2013 and they are still open preventing customers to have easy access to our businesses,” said Moses.

Moses added that several potential customers had fallen in to these tranches and some had their cars damaged by falling in these tranches as there are no warning signs that shows that there are tranches.

He said it was over three months that the tranches were standing open since they were dug and no work was seen being done at all.

According to Moses the contractors did not planned their work well and as a result they are making their businesses and customers surfer.

Another business owner who had been affected by the tranches, Tjizozu Hangalo told Nampa on Monday that they were in the dark on what was going on as they were not consulted about their roads being cut off or until when they should wait for the work to be done for the entrances to their businesses to be opened.

Approached for comments the Opuwo Town Council’s Chief Executive Officer, Alphons Tjitombo told Nampa on Monday that the work was still scheduled as the completion date is end of May 2014.

Tjitombo added that there is no delay in the completion of the project at all.

“The tranches are standing open because of the delay in the delivery of the specified material that needed to be delivered from South Africa,” said Tjitombo.

He added that the Town Council paid the material last week the first week of February 2014 to the company that would deliver the material in the third week of February this year.

Tjitombo said that contractors are faced with limited heavy machinery to dig trenches and after leasing these machines that are paid per hour or per day they have to make use of it to the maximum to insure that they do as many work as possible.

He added that as a result the contractor had to dig tranches long before the materials were delivered and return the leased machineries, while waiting for the material to be delivered and as soon as the materials arrive they will complete the work.

Edited OPUWO: Delays in the completion of a storm drainage system in Opuwo are preventing customers from gaining access to local businesses.

Some local business owners say they have been cut off from the main road by trenches dug for the purpose of installing the planned drainage system, and this has led to a decrease in the amount of customers they get.

According to the owner of Sbogae Restaurant, Petrus Moses, the Opuwo Town Council and the contractor who is responsible for the connection of the drainage system was supposed to make provision for proper access to their businesses.

“The trenches were dug in December last year and they are still open, preventing customers from entering our businesses,” Moses told Nampa on Tuesday.

The business owner also alleged that no work had been done for some weeks now.

Another business owner who has been affected is Tjizozu Hangalo, who said they were in the dark about the situation.

He added that they were not consulted about work being done on the roads, or told when they could expect the work to be completed.

Approached for comment, the Chief Executive Officer of the Opuwo Town Council, Alphons Tjitombo said the installation of the storm drainage system is scheduled to be completed by the end of May this year.

“The trenches have been left open because of a delay in the delivery of the specified material, which needs to be delivered from South Africa,” he noted.

The town council paid for the material last week, and they are expecting it to be delivered soon.

Tjitombo furthermore indicated that contractors are faced with limitations as they rent the heavy machinery used to dig trenches and pay for the equipment per hour or per day.

The trenches were dug while the delivery of the material was still awaited so that the rented machinery could be returned, he added.