JJD Stays, As Stars Protest Again

Johnny Johnson Doeumlseb won a third opportunity to lead the Namibia Premier League on Saturday, as African Stars lodged a complaint of misconduct against the league authorities with the Namibia Football Association on Friday.

Doeumlseb, who has been at the helm of the league since 2008, earned another four-year term after winning a landslide 12 votes to 2 against Blue Waters nominee Gibson Imbili at the NPL AGM held in Windhoek.

Another key development at the AGM was the announcement that the status of Ramblers in the NPL had been assumed by the University of Namibia (Unam) Football Club, subject to ratification by the NFA Congress.

However, Saturday’s meeting was arguably more concerned with Doeumlseb’s re-election, which was opposed by Black Africa and African Stars, who hinted that they may also withdraw their pending High Court case against the NPL and NFA.

Prior to his re-election, there were talks that Doeumlseb was contemplating not running for the top position following damning mid-week revelations by the NFA Appeals Committee regarding the reversed two-year suspension of African Stars.

In March, a frustrated Doeumlseb, whose second term ended with the conclusion of the 2012-13 season in June, had also made himself unavailable for the position, but went back on his decision to quit the beleaguered football body after calls to stay on by his allies in the NPL and Namibia Football Association president John Muinjo.

At the time, Muinjo said Doeumlseb’s expertise was invaluable given that he was part of the NFA Constitutional Review process in January, under the guidance of Fifa, and his continued involvement with the NPL would be crucial in the implementation of the decisions taken at that assembly.

Stars’ latest protest also appeared to have waned on Doeumlseb’s purported reluctance to stay on as head of the troubled body, which has been reported for allegedly contravening its own constitution as well as the NFA statutes and rules through apparent prejudice against the club, precipitated by the foiled two-year suspension imposed by the NPL.

That ban, which extended to Martin and Stars executive Clint Dauti, was reversed by the NFA Appeals Committee last week, prompting the club to open another chapter in its prolonged fight with the NPL.

Stars also claim that the NPL has “caused the game to come into disrepute” not only through their violation of football regulations, but also through repeated statements made by Doeumlseb in the media to justify their misrepresentation of football disciplinary procedure.

The club’s chairman Sidney Martin on Sunday moved to dispel further misinformation regarding Stars’ retracting their court case against the football authorities.

“It’s not true. I think that was a wrong interpretation of what was said. We will have a meeting on Tuesday where the board of directors will discuss what we will do regarding the case,” Martin told The Namibian Sport on Sunday.

Source : The Namibian