Man shot during Operation Kalahari Desert patrol

A 21 year-old man was shot during the Operation Kalahari Desert patrol in the vicinity of Kuisebmond Centre in Walvis Bay.

The incident took place during the early morning hours on Saturday, when one of the members of the Namibian Defence Force (NDF) while chasing the suspect/victim and his partner for reportedly robbing a man, fired warning shots, with one of them accidentally striking the victim.

According to a police report issued by Namibian Police Force's Erongo Regional Crime Investigations Coordinator Deputy Commissioner Erastus Iikuyu on Saturday, the NDF member first fired three warning shots from his service pistol, however the suspects did not stop.

He then fired the fourth bullet, which allegedly struck the suspect/victim in the back, through his stomach.

He then fell to the ground and was then apprehended, Iikuyu noted.

The injured suspect/victim was taken to the Walvis Bay State Hospital for medical treatment, after which he was further transferred to Katutura State Hospital and is said to be in a stable condition.

The NDF member has not been arrested, however the firearm used was confiscated.

Two separate cases of Attempted Murder and Robbery were registered at the Kuisebmund Police Station.

The attempted murder docket will be forwarded to the Prosecutor General's office for decision, after completion of the investigations.

In an separate incident in Swakopmund,a 40 year-old man was arrested after he allegedly shot a man in the head for stealing his barbeque pan.

The incident happened at the Mondesa residential area on Saturday at between 12h30 and 13h00.

It is alleged that the 32 year-old man stole a barbeque pan from the suspect's house and ran away.

The suspect then chased after the victim and when he caught him, the victim reportedly drew out a knife with the intention to stab the suspect, who then took out his pistol and shot the victim once in the head.

The barbeque pan as well as the knife were found with the victim.

The victim was taken to Swakopmund State hospital in a critical condition and was transferred to Katutura State Hospital, for further medical treatment.

The suspect was arrested and the firearm was confiscated.

He is expected to appear in the Swakopmund Magistrates Court on Monday.

Source: Namibia Press Agency