Namibia: Man Arrested for Raping His Daughter

Windhoek - A 37-year-old man from Ohalushu has been arrested for repeatedly raping his 17-year-old daughter on different occasions. The man had also threatened to kill his daughter with a gun and spear if she told people about the rapes.

Police spokesperson Inspector Slogan Matheus said the man had been sleeping with his daughter on different occasions and different dates and it last happened on April 24. The case was only reported on April 27.

"The suspect used to go to the victim's room in the night, knock on her door and when he entered the room he ordered the victim to undress and had sexual intercourse with her," Matheus told the press yesterday.

In an unrelated matter, police in Oshikoto region opened a case of a missing baby boy.

Matheus said that on April 30 at Ourewound in Oshikoto region at around midnight it is alleged a nine-month-old baby boy disappeared while sleeping with the mother outside their house.

"It is alleged the mother came home drunk and found the house locked by her younger sister and decided to sleep outside. When she woke up at midnight the baby was nowhere to be found. By yesterday the baby was still not found. The police have engaged in a search for the baby," Matheus said.

In Mariental, a 12-year-old girl committed suicide by hanging herself with an electrical cable from a roof of a garage at their residence. Matheus said the incident happened last Friday at about 05:30 at Laan Oos Location in Mariental.

Matheus said it is alleged that on Thursday at about 22:30 the deceased was with the family at home and when the family members went to their rooms to sleep she informed a fellow girl with whom she shares a room that she would sleep on the couch in the living room. She requested an electrical extension lead to apparently charge her cellphone. The deceased was identified as Serenity Shironni Cathleen.

Matheus said the reason why the deceased took her own life is not known, and no suicide note was left while messages in the deceased's mobile phone were found deleted.

Police in Khomas region opened an inquest docket after a 57-year-old man was suspected of shooting himself with his revolver.

Matheus said according to the family members the deceased was drinking alcohol at his residence, with the family at home. He later started arguing and swearing at them, only for a gunshot to be heard later on the veranda. The man was found with a gunshot wound in his head and he was declared dead on the spot.

The incident happened on Sunday at about 19:30 at Olof Palme Street in Klein Windhoek.