Nanso to hear fate on suspension on Friday

WINDHOEK: A ruling in a legal battle between the National Youth Council (NYC) and Namibia National Students Organization (Nanso) over the suspension of the student body will be made known on Friday (tomorrow).

On 18 July this year (2015), after having listened to the submissions and counter-arguments presented by lawyers of both the applicant and the respondents, High Court Judge Shafimana Ueitele said he will hand down his ruling on the matter on 07 August 2015.

The ruling will be made public on Friday morning at about 09h00.

Nanso was allegedly unfairly suspended from taking part in all activities of the NYC after its delegates at an Extra-ordinary Representative Council meeting of the NYC held in Nkurenkuru in Kavango West in June this year (2015) unanimously resolved to suspend the country’s biggest students’ organization for four months.

As a result of the suspension, Nanso took the NYC to the Windhoek High Court last month (18 July 2015) with an urgent application in which the leadership of the students’ organization asked the court to have its suspension declared null and void.

The applicant, Nanso, is up against the Representative Council of the NYC and NYC Executive Director Mandela Kapere, who are cited as respondents.

“The leadership of the NYC has chased away the majority affiliate of the NYC in order for them to go ahead with the holding of the General Assembly of the NYC slated for September 2015 with only the minority affiliates.

“The applicant is completely excluded from taking part in all the activities of the NYC as a result of this unfair suspension. With the suspension, the applicant is also being denied their constitutional right to take part in the preparatory activities of the NYC prior to the holding of the General Assembly,” Nanso legal representative’s Sisa Namandje said as he asked the court to set aside the suspension.

He added that the suspension is a punitive measure because the applicant was also completely denied of their constitutional rights to obtain benefits which Nanso was enjoying as an affiliate of the NYC.

On his part, Advocate Steve Rukoro who represented the respondents asked the court to dismiss the application because he said Nanso was suspended fairly and in accordance with the legal procedures governing the NYC.

According to papers presented before court, Nanso wants the youth council to stay out of its internal matters pertaining to issues of some members of the organization’s previous leadership who are apparently refusing to accept defeat.

The NYC, on the other hand, is sticking to its decision to suspend Nanso for four months, claiming that it is concerned over deep divisions within the organization’s leadership that emerged during the organization’s congress that was held in the capital in March 2015.

Rukoro appeared for the respondents, acting on the instructions of the Joshua Kaumbi law firm.

Namandje was assisted by fellow defense lawyer Kadhila Amoomo.

The NYC last month announced that it has selected a committee of five members to investigate the division within the student organization.

The decision was taken at a Representative Council meeting held in Nkurenkuru in the Kavango West Region after two people represented Nanso, when each affiliate was only supposed to have one representative.

The two are former Nanso Secretary-General (SG) Sharonice Busch and current SG Dimbulukeni Nauyoma.