Noordhoek murder case bail hearing postponed to Thursday

A 22-year-old man accused of stabbing a 45-year-old man to death in June last year here, brought forth a bail hearing application in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate's Court on Monday.

The accused, Richard Swartz, made his first bail hearing appearance before Magistrate Melissa Mungunda who postponed his case to 03 October 2019 for continuation of the bail hearing.

State representative Frederick van der Colf informed the court that the State still opposes bail because it has a strong case against the accused and because the witnesses are all known to Swartz and he might interfere with the witnesses.

Van der Colf also said the state fairs that the accused might abscond once released on bail as he fled the scene and that it will not be in the interest of the justice system for Swartz to be release on bail.

Swartz allegedly stabbed Moses Diba in the chest, causing his death at a bottle store in the Noordhoek residential area on the night of 29 June 2018.

He allegedly grabbed a knife from Diba, who was busy assaulting his (Swartz's) ex-girlfriend, and stabbed him. Diba died on the spot.

During cross examination by his Legal aid defence lawyer Maruschka January on Monday, Swartz inform the court that he understand that he is face with a serious charge and he plans to stand trial.

In regard to the witnesses Swartz said he knows the state witnesses but he was quick to say that he has no relationship with the witnesses.

The accused inform the court that he can only afford bail to the amount of N.dollars 1 500.

January said the reason why a formal bail application was launched is because the accused as been in custody for one year and three months and it is his right for him to bring such as application.

Another reason according to the defence lawyer Swartz has a minor child that he has to take care of.

Swartz remains in custody at the police holding cells in Keetmanshoop until his next court appearance.

Source: Namibia Press Agency