Promising young chefs cook up a storm in first cook-off

Uwe Hanssen (left) and Annelise Niemand are two top young chefs that compete this weekend to determine the Namibian participant for an international event in May.This weekend, the first round in the battle for the title best young chef, starts in Windhoek.
Saturday 26 January, hopeful young chefs, all under the age of 25, will gather at the Polytechnic Hotel School, to entertain the judges with what they regard as their best cullinary offer.
This first competition of the year is held under the banner of the Namibian Chef Association. It is the first stage in the bigger Namibia Under 25 Chefs of the Year Competition.
Honorary president of the Namibian Chef Association, Tom Mutavdzic said in a statement released earlier this week, the aim of this competition is to find the best young chef in Namibia to participate in other international events. “On Saturday the NCA will know who will be the U25 chef that will represent Namibia at the semi-finals for Africa and the Middle East at the World Wide Hans Bueschkens Challenge. The Hans Bueschkens Challenge, organized by the World Association of Chefs Societies (WACS), is for chefs under the age of 25 and has been going on since 2003 with increasing popularity” he said.