Rehoboth, United Through to Semifinals

Rehoboth and United booked their place in the semifinals of the Namibian Rugby Premier league with convincing victories against Kudus and Reho Falcon respectively.

Rehoboth, who beat Kudus 39-26, will meet Wanderers in the semifinals and United, who beat Reho Falcon 49-12, will meet the defending champions Western Suburbs.

In the opening play-off match, Kudus initially provided stiff competition before Rehoboth eased to victory in the second half. The teams were still tied 14-all at halftime but Rehoboth eventually ran in five tries to complete a comfortable victory.

Rehoboth opened their account with a fine opportunistic try by scrumhalf Elrich Jansen who darted blindside from a scrum to go over in the corner.

Kudus immediately struck back when centre Anthony Jevu won a race to touch down a kick ahead and with flyhalf Ivo Croza adding the conversion they took a 7-5 lead.

Kudus were however punished for indiscipline when eighth man Ernesto Bampton was yellow carded for obstruction and Rehoboth took aantage as Titus landed three penalties to put them 14-5 ahead.

Just before halftime though, Kudus struck back when lock Grant Nash crashed over for a try converted by Croza to tie the score at 14-14.

Rehoboth regained the lead early in the second half through a fine solo try by Chase Diergaardt, but Kudus once again struck back when flanker Immo Dresselhaus touched down to tie the score at 19-19.

That was however the closest they got as Rehoboth stepped up a gear. Fullback Fabian Routh went over in the corner after a fine counter attack, while a Titus penalty stretched their lead to 27-19.

Rehoboth attacked from all corners in the final stages and a brace of tries by winger Reduaan Beukes stretched their lead to 39-19, before prop Richard Forbes scored a late consolation try for Kudus.

Indiscipline costs Falcons

In the second match, indiscipline cost Reho Falcon as they had three players sin binned in the second half, while United ran in seven tries, all converted by lock Winmar Rust, who scored 14 points with the boot.

United got off to a flying start as centre Tuna Amutenya touched down in the first minute, and from then on there was no looking back.

Prop Jaco Engels barged over for a try and although Falcons opened their account with a try by fullback Greg Stein, United soon increased their lead.

Amutenya scored a brilliant solo second try, when he broke away down the wing, chipped over the cover defence and plucked the ball out of the air to race away and touch down behind the posts.

United kept on attacking and a barnstorming try behind the posts by lock Jandre Lamprecht gave them a comfortable 28-5 lead at the break.

Centre Martin Cronje stretched United’s lead to 35-5 with a try early in the second half, but Falcons struck back with a fine try by eighthman Philippus Isaacks after a fine counterattack involving forwards and backs.

Any hopes of a Falcons comeback were however thwarted when Deon Pieters, Greg Stein and Philippus Isaacks were all sin-binned due to indiscipline.

United made use of their numerical aantage and further tries by eighthman Morne Blaauw and substitute wing Henry Kandjou completed a convincing victory.

Source : The Namibian