Second accused in game farm burglary denied bail at Outjo

Two men accused in a housebreaking and intent to steal and theft of 34 rhino horns, money, a pair of wedding rings and three firearms at a game farm outside Outjo are remanded in custody at Outjo.

The accused are Hofeni Amakali, 43, and Elias Heita Mweutwikange, 30, who were arrested in Windhoek this year in August after they were linked to a housebreaking that took place at a farm in the Outjo district during the 09 to 11 August.

It is alleged a total of 34 rhino horns, money of different currencies, a pair of wedding rings and three firearms valued at N.dollars 103 million were stolen in a burglary at the farm.

The two accused already made their first court appearances in the Outjo Magistrate's Court on 27 August this year for Amakali, and 17 September for Mweutwikange where each of them was denied bail on grounds the police investigations had just started.

Amakali told court he will apply for a State funded lawyer through the Ministry of Justice's Legal Aid Directorate, while Mweutwikange to defend himself.

Their case was then postponed to 14 October 2019 for further police investigations and to allow Amakali to secure legal representation.

Public prosecutors, Adjah Nepembe and Sean Nangombe had represented the State, while the magistrates, Immanuel Udjombala and Peingondjabi Shipo presided over the case on 27 August, and 17 September 2019 at Outjo.

The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)'s Otjozondjupa Regional Crime Investigations Coordinator, Deputy Commissioner Naukalemo Andreas in an interview with Nampa on 13 August this year said the 58-year-old farm owner who is licensed by Government to keep rhino horns which are dehorned was the complainant.

Andreas said the farmer only discovered on 11 August that his house was broken into and 34 rhino horns, American dollars, Euros, Rands and Namibian dollars, two wedding rings and his three firearms to a value of N.dollars 103 million were all stolen from a safe inside the house.

The owner suspects the burglary might have happened during the 09 and 11 August this year at the time when he was not at home , said Andreas.

It is alleged the suspects might have jumped the wall fence, cut open the roof of the house and disconnected the alarm before they broke into his house through one of the entrances to the safe.

The court was informed on Tuesday that no recovery has been made so far.

Source: Namibia Press Agency