Ten-Man Warriors Draw With Swaziland

Winger Deon Hotto scored for a 10-man Brave Warriors in their 1-1 draw against Swaziland at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Windhoek on Wednesday night.

The two sides met in an international friendly match on a FIFA date and under the floodlights of the Sam Nujoma Stadium and with a good crowd of supporters to cheer the home team on, Ricardo Manetti’s charges started off well.

The Warriors dominated possession and had promising build ups with the likes of midfield dynamo Wangu Gome, the hard-running Lazarus Kaimbi and the combative captain Ronald Ketjijere linking up well with the target man Henrico Botes and young striker Itamunua Keimuine.

Deon Hotto also had a great first half on the left wing while Peter Shalulile played like a seasoned campaigner at left back as he marshalled the defence together with the central paring of Chris Katjiukua and Willem Mwedihanga and another standout performer Tijuana ua Tjinotjiua.

But the visitors managed to keep the Warriors at bay as Swazi’s experienced campaigners such as captain Tony Tsabedze and the impressive Felix Badenhorst kept their team moving forward.

Just before halftime, Kaimbi had a great chance to score after a clever flick on from Botes, but the Thailand-based winger saw his powerful strike hit the cross bar.

In the second half, Rudolph Bester came on for Keimuine to add more firepower upfront and moments later, from a Warriors free kick taken by Kaimbi, Mwedihanga headed back into play at the far post and after seeing his first shot blocked, Deon Hotto hit the rebound with genuine authority into the back of the net, to give the home side a much deserved lead to the delight of the fans.

But midway through the second half, the Brave Warriors had Kaimbi sent off for a second yellow card after referee Andreas Helmut adjudged him to have dived in the box as he was challenged by a Swazi defender.

Mannetti rang another change as he brought on Marius Kotze for the injured Gome in midfield.

Kaimbi’s red card affected the rest of the match as the Warriors retracted and the Sihlangu of Swaziland drove forward in search of the equaliser.

Their goal finally came 10 minutes before the end when Namibian keeper Max Mbaeva failed to hold onto a high ball and Felix Badenhorst was on hand to head it into the net.


Source : The Namibian