Two suspects in Outjo shooting arrested

Two male suspects aged 21 and 35 years were arrested Tuesday afternoon in connection with the shooting incident of the 55-year-old South African national who was allegedly shot and injured while on his way to a farm with his wife Monday night.

Namibian Police Force (NamPol)'s Otjozondjupa Crime Investigations Coordinator, Deputy Commissioner Naukalemo Andreas told Nampa in an interview on Wednesday that the two suspects are farmworkers at the farm the victim also works as a foreman.

Andreas said the two suspects during arrest on Tuesday were found in their possession stolen goods from the farmhouse they work.

It is alleged they first broke into the house and stole a hunting firearm, its ammunition and sight glasses belonging to the victim amongst others.

We had an intensified mobile and foot patrols in the area since the incident occurred, joined by farmers around that area, said Andreas.

Andreas said a police vehicle of the Crime Investigation Unit (CIU) which was also involved in the patrols was travelling from the farm to Outjo and its driver found on foot two men carrying luggages.

The police vehicle then stopped and loaded them until the Outjo Police Station where they were searched as well as their luggages.

Stolen goods from the farmhouse were found in their luggages and this led to their arrest, Andreas said.

The two are expected to appear in the Outjo Magistrate's Court on Thursday on charges of housebreaking, theft and attempted murder.

Andreas on Tuesday told this news agency that the farmer and his wife were attacked when they were travelling from Outjo towards the farm situated about 90 kilometres southwest of Outjo.

The couple came across rocks and branches that had been placed on the gravel road to the farm between 20h00 and 21h00.

Since these obstacles were blocking them from driving through, the man stopped and got out of the vehicle to remove them from the road, Andreas said.

The man was then shot once on the left side of his chest.

His wife drove him to the Outjo State Hospital where he received medical attention before being transferred to a hospital in the capital where on Wednesday was reported recovering.

Police investigations in the matter continue.

Source: Namibia Press Agency