Young man allegedly beaten to death in Windhoek

WINDHOEK: The lifeless body of a Namibian male believed to be in his mid-20’s was found lying in a riverbed near August Tjaapo Street in central Katutura on Saturday morning.

The deceased has been identified as Stanley Metarapi, who was also known as ‘Jannie’.

Namibian Police Force (NamPol) spokesperson Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi said at a media briefing on Sunday it is suspected that Metarapi may have been beaten to death.

“Robbery is also suspected, but no arrests have been made so far and police investigations continue,” he said.

Meanwhile, an Angolan national was allegedly assaulted by three Angolan males at his home village of Okolukange in Angola last Monday.

His wife then allegedly brought him to Namibia on Thursday to seek medical treatment.

“Due to the nature of his injuries, they did not make it to the hospital as he succumbed to his injuries on Friday at around 03h00 at the Naango location in Ruacana, where they were staying for the night,” Kanguatjivi said.

The deceased has been identified as Mutewa Shikongo.

A 23-year-old man was stabbed to death with a knife at a shebeen in Groot Aub in the Hardap Region on Saturday.

He was stabbed in the left upper side of his chest and died on the spot.

A 17-year-old whose name is being withheld as he is underage, was arrested in connection with the murder.

NamPol is also requesting the public’s assistance with information on the whereabouts of the 54-year-old Abraham Gariseb, who went missing in September 2013.

According to Kanguatjivi, Gariseb’s family last heard from him when he left home in Maltahöhe last year for employment on a farm near Keetmanshoop.

The family however went to the police for assistance after he failed to make contact with them.

Kanguatjivi added that when NamPol went to the farm to search for Gariseb, the farm owner refused to give them access to the farm.

“We now have to take the next step of obtaining a search warrant to see if we can trace Gariseb. What puzzles me is that the police were not going onto the farm to go for a search of criminal activities. It is just a search for a missing person. How heartless can this farm owner be to refuse a search for someone who is missing?” he said.

He urged members of the public with information on Gariseb’s whereabouts to come forth, noting that the life of a human being is much more important than property that might be stolen and hidden.